Beauvoir – The Jefferson Davis Home & Presidential Library
2244 Beach Blvd., Biloxi
This seaside vacation estate (circa 1848-1852) contains the restored home of Confederate President Jefferson Davis, the Jefferson Davis Presidential Library, a Confederate Museum, a historic cemetery, landscaped gardens and nature trails. www.beauvoir.org . (228) 388-1313
Biloxi Visitors Vacation Center & Biloxi Historical Walking Tour
710 Beach Blvd., Biloxi.
A self-guided walking tour takes visitors to more than 20 historic buildings. The tour begins at the Biloxi Visitors Center located in the Brielmaier House. The center has information on local attractions, events and more. www.biloxi.ms.us (228) 374-3105 or 1-800-245-6943
Hwy. 90 at Porter Ave., Biloxi.
This 65-foot tall cast iron lighthouse was erected in 1848. It is the only lighthouse in the U.S. that stands in the middle of a four-lane highway. One tour daily at 10 a.m. Monday through Saturday. (228) 435-6308
Mardi Gras Museum
119 Rue Magnolia, Biloxi.
Colorful costumes, memorabilia and history of Mardi Gras on the Gulf Coast since the arrival of the French in 1699. (228) 435-6245
Ohr-O’Keefe Museum of Art
136 G.E. Ohr St., Biloxi.
The largest permanent public exhibition of the works by George E. Ohr, the nationally acclaimed “Mad Potter of Biloxi”. The museum also has two additional galleries exhibiting works from local, regional and international artists. A Museum Store offers pottery, art, jewelry and other gift items. Web site: www.georgeohr.org. (228) 374-5547
The Friendship Oak
730 E. Beach Blvd., Long Beach.
Located on USM’s Gulf Park campus, the oak has a trunk 17 feet in circumference and 50 feet in height. Its foliage spreads 151 feet, a plaque dating the tree to 1487 dedicates all who enter its shadow to become lifelong friends. (228) 865-4500
Bay St. Louis
Bay St. Louis Historic Downtown
108 Cue St., Bay Saint Louis.
Information is available at the Hancock County Historical Society located in the 1896 Kate Lobrano House. The area is also known for its art, antique and specialty shops. Vacationers paradise! (228) 467-4090
Crooked Feather Monument
Highway 90, Ocean Springs.
Sculpture of a Native American carved from a cypress log 5-feet wide by 11-feet high. The current carving was done in 1999, replacing the original sculpture created in the 1940’s by Hungarian artist Peter Toth. (228) 875-4424
The Doll House
201 Bienville Blvd., Ocean Springs.
Hundreds of dolls, stuffed animals and doll houses on display. Admission benefits the pet shelter. (228) 872-3971
Front Beach Dr., Ocean Springs.
A replica of the original fort built in 1699, the original was the first fortification built by the French in the colonial era. Adjacent is the popular Fort Maurepas Nature Preserve. (228) 875-4424
Mississippi Vietnam Veterans Memorial
3730 Bienville Blvd., Ocean Springs.
Memorial tribute to the men and women who served in the Vietnam War. Next to the Ocean Springs Civic Center.
Ocean Springs Chamber & Old L&N Railroad Depot
1000 Washington Avenue, Ocean Springs.
Built in 1907, the historic L & N depot was the center of city life until rail service was discontinued in 1965. Now home of the Ocean Springs Chamber of Commerce. Visit the chamber for information on local attractions, vacation events, tours and new residents can pick up your FREE Relocation Gift Bag. (228) 875-4424
102 Shearwater Drive, Ocean Springs.
The artistic legacy of the Anderson family, Peter, Walter and James McConnell Anderson, is on display at Shearwater Pottery, founded in 1928 by the late Peter Anderson. (228) 875-7320
Walter Anderson Museum of Art
510 Washington Ave., Ocean Springs.
Opened in 1991 and dedicated to the celebration of the interdisciplinary works of American master Walter Inglis Anderson (1903-1965), whose depictions of the plants, animals and people of the Gulf Coast have earned him a place at the forefront of American artists. Vacationing visitors are treated to a permanent exhibit as well as diverse exhibits occurring throughout the year. www.walterandersonmuseum.org. (228) 872-3164.
Old Spanish Fort & Museum
4602 Fort Drive, Pascagoula.
Built in 1718 and claiming the title of oldest building in the Mississippi Valley, the fort was a French outpost, later captured by the Spanish. Includes a museum and a children’s hands-on exhibit. (228) 769-1505